Monday 20 February 2012

Five petalled flower pattern

 I wanted to make some flowers to decorate my hanging rail with when I do markets. In my head I know exactly what I want them to look like, but I couldn't find a pattern anywhere that I liked, so I had a go at making one up.
They're not exactly what I want, but they're pretty close. There probably are lots of patterns for similar flowers out there already, but I thought it would be good practice to have a go at writing a pattern out, so please do have a go and give me your feedback on how clear (or not!) my instructions are :-)
(and please excuse the not very well focussed photos!)
UK terms and I used a 4.5mm hook with dk yarn which makes a flower approx. 7cm diameter.

Please use the pattern for your own use only and not for items you intend to sell. Thankyou 
:-)

Round 1 : Yarn1 - chain three (a) and then work nine htr's into the third loop from the hook (loop next to knot)(b)(c) to end up with a circle of ten stitches (d) break off yarn 1.
Round 2: Yarn two - attach yarn two (e) and ch 2 into 1st stitch, htr into same stitch, ch1; *2 htr, 1ch into next stitch* (f); repeat ** in next eight stitches and sl st into top chain of first ch 2 to complete the round (g). break off yarn 2 (h)
Round 3: Yarn 3 - attach yarn three (i) and ch2 in first ch 1 space of previous round (j); slst into next ch 1 space; ch 2 and slst into each ch 1 space (k) ending with a sl st in the space you began from (l) 
(don't break off yarn 3 as you will be using for the next round too)
Round 4: petals (Yarn 3) - each petal is worked in two halves over two of the ch 2 spaces from the previous round - into first ch 2 space (m) work 1 dc, 1 htr, 1 tr and 1 dtr (n), then working into the next ch 2 space work 1 dtr, 1 tr, 1 htr and 1 dc (o), this gives you one full petal; repeat for the remaining four petals (p)
I think the flower looks quite sweet as it is at this stage, but I wanted mine outlined in a contrasting colour. You could leave it here though, or continue Round 5 with the same colour as the rest of the petal if you didn't want the outline edge.

Round 5: Yarn 1 - attach Yarn 1 and begin with a long sl st (ie. insert hook into one of the ch 1 spaces of round 2 (q); pull yarn through (r); and secure with a slip stitch (s); 1 dc into each of next seven stitches (t)
Work one long dc into the 1ch sp of Round 2 (u)(v); and work 1 dc into next seven stitches again. Repeat for each petal (w). make more (x) ;-)

23 comments:

  1. Best tutorial EVER; written instructions AND step-by-step picture instruction? FABULOUS! Beautiful flower. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-) Glad you enjoyed it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is not the same flower shown in the original pic. it has some green for leaves.
    also would be nice if i could print the pattern off as it is difficult to crochet in front of the computer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm not sure what you mean about the leaves? There aren't any leaves on the flowers in the original picture - this is definitely the pattern for the ones shown because one of them is the one I used for the instruction photos.

      I'm afraid I don't know how you would print the instructions off - perhaps you could copy and paste them into a word document or something.

      Hope that helps :)x

      Delete
    2. Hi I love the flowers (it makes me wish I could crochet!) I think I can help with the printing issue, there are two ways you could go about it but both include some sort of word publication. 1. You could highlight the text and then coppy and paste it into the publication document or 2. You can 'Print screen' the pattern into the document, this is done by pressing a button on your keyboard which usually says 'prnt scn' or something similar to this, by pushing this button your computer takes a picture of your screen that you can then print off. But please be warned that this isn't an actually picture that the will end up in your picture album on your computer, in order to be able to print it you need to go into your document and then left click on your mouse and select 'paste' a copy of the screen with the instructions were on should appear ready for you to print out. - Hope this is helpful

      Delete
    3. Just click file and then print...that's it

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the pattern! These flowers were perfect for a Dia de los Meurtos mask I'm working on. Even with converting from UK to Eng terms it was still very easy! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ;OVE UPIRF FLOWERS DISCOVERED IT ON MOOGLY PAGE. NEVETR SEEN HTR'S BEFORE IN INSTRUCTIONS WHAT DOES HTR MEAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. htr means half treble (uk terms), so yarn over, hook through, yarn over, pull hook back - three loops on hook - yarn over and pull through all three loops on hook. hth :)

      Delete
    2. In standard American terms this would be a hdc or half double crochet

      Delete
  6. Thank you for taking the time to post this! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely tutorial and lovely flower. I am just learning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These Are Really Cute. Don't Let Bad Comments Get To You. If They Could They'd Make Up Their Own Pattern Which They Prob Can't.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good tutorial. It is simple but lovely flower in the end

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so fun to make. Even when I translated and learned a new stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't read all of the comments, but I use print friendly to print patterns. Go to printfriendly.com and it will explain. If you use this you can print the pattern only. This saves paper and ink. Love the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, thanks so much. Very easy and clear instructions. Im a beginner and would like to know, if want to crochet the same flower or the hearts but larger. How would i do that? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thicker thread/yarn or double yarn and a larger hook is one way. Increasing the stich size and number is another, replace all dc with trb and all trb with dtb, replace 2 htr with 3 htr and so on. Experiment.

      Delete
  14. Hi, love this flower. I believe there is a little mistake in the third sentence of round 5, it says dtr where I think you mean dc. Ta, emma.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for pointing it out :) will correct next time I'm on pc :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are really cute. The crochet terms are UK terms. Here is a link for a conversion chart to US terms.

    http://www.yarnfwd.com/crochet.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are gorgeous! I wanted to use them to cover moth holes in a much loved plain jumper that I borrowed from my partner thirty five years ago. Thank you for the clear instructions.

    ReplyDelete